Here are some basic tools. If you know better ones, let me know.
- Making and editing drawings
- LibreOffice is a free office suite, like Microsoft Office. LibreOffice Draw is good for making drawings, with boxes, circles, arrows, pasted-in photos, etc. It's where I start first for making drawings for this site.
- Google Draw is another good drawing tool.
- Screen shots – The easiest way to get your drawings web-ready
- Organizing and messing with photos
- I use XNView. It lets you explore directories of photos, showing thumbnails. You can do basic things, like resize and crop.